arrow drop search cross

Erasmus / exchange students

Formalities to enter in France

You have been admitted to the Université Côte d'Azur as part of an international agreement or following your application to join our university as an individual.

At this step, you have already received your letter of admission (either from the Office of International Relations or the Student Services) and you may be wondering about the administrative steps that are required to prepare for your move to France.

Before your arrival in France

Depending on your nationality and the duration of your stay, you may need to obtain a visa to study in France.

If you are a citizen of a country in the European Economic Area or Switzerland, an identity card is sufficient and there is no need for a visa.
If you are a national from outside the European Economic Area or Switzerland, you must take the necessary steps with the Consulate or Embassy of France in the country of your current residence. Remember that your passport is essential and must be valid for at least the entire duration of the stay:

-        VLS – TS Student Visa : "Visa long séjour valant titre de séjour" (VLS/TS) for a duration of 4 to 12 months.

This visa allows you to pursue studies at a higher education institution in France for a minimum duration of 4 months. The normal validity period of the long-stay visa is one year. This visa is renewable. Holders of the VLS-TS visa marked "étudiant" are exempted from applying for a temporary residence permit in the first year of their stay in France. However, you must carry out formalities with the OFII upon your arrival in France in order to validate your visa. Be careful: in the case of non-compliance with this requirement, the VLS-TS visa will lose its validity.
This visa is extendable for the continuation of studies in France 

-        VLS – T Visa : Visa long séjour temporaire” for a duration of 4 to 12 months.

This visa also makes it possible for you to pursue studies in France for a maximum duration of one year. The VLS-T visa waives all formalities with the OFII and the residence permit requirement. This visa is not extendable on French territory.

web site established by the French Government, allows you to check if you need to apply for a visa (by using a simulation) and provides all the detailed information, including where to submit your application, the list of documents to be provided, the cost of the visa and other important information.

Once in France

If you hold a VLS-TS student visa, you must have your visa validated by the French Office of Immigration and Integration (OFII) within 3 months of your arrival in FranceThis procedure is required for all students holding a new visa, except for Algerian students who will have to go directly to the prefecture to obtain their student residence certificate.

Procedure for OFII validation of the VLS–TS Visa

At first, you have to send the OFII Attestation Request Form (Formulaire de demande d’attestation de l’OFII) by mail to the OFII office closest to your home. The form will be given to you by the Consulate of France before your departure. This form must be accompanied by the additional documents requested, including a copy of your passport pages containing the information relating to your identity, your visa and the stamp attesting your entry into France or in the Schengen area (date of your entry). 

This formality is mandatory and in the absence of registration within three months of arrival in France, the visa holder will be considered to be without status by the French authorities. Upon receipt of all these documents, the OFII registers the file and will send you a confirmation of deposit of the application file by mail and will summon you to validate the visa.

During your OFII appointment, you must submit the following documents:

  • your passport and your visa;
  • proof of address in France : rent receipt, lease, water or electricity bill, or accommodation certification (attestation d'hébergement), etc.;
  • an identification photo, bareheaded;
  • stamps or OFII online stamps to a value of 60 euros (tarif valid in 2018). Warning: in addition to your invitation you will receive a stamp-letter (lettre-timbre) that will ask you to pay the tax of 60 € by buying online OFII stamps (timbre dématérialisé OFII) on the site. Do not buy the online public finance stamps (timbre dématérialisé des finances publiques) or stamps from a tobacconist because these cannot be accepted by the OFII.

At the end of your appointment, the OFII will give you a sticker to affix on your passport. This OFII sticker certifies that your long-term student visa has been validated. If you have not completed the OFII formalities within the time limit, you will have to file a new visa application with the French consular authorities of your country of residence.

Good to know: In order to facilitate these processes for students, the Université Côte d'Azur (in partnership with the Nice CROUS) sets up a system every year, from September to January, allowing students to directly submit their Formulaire de demande d’attestation de l’OFIIwith the necessary documents on certain university campuses or with the CROUS. 

OFII de Nice
Immeuble SPACE- Bât. B
11, rue des Grenouillères
06 200 NICE
Phone : 04 92 29 49 00

Procedure for the renewal of the residence permit (titre de séjour)

At the end of your VLS-TS student visa, you can renew your right to stay to continue your studies in France under certain conditions and apply for a residence permit (carte de séjour; which can be multi-year in some cases). It requires a fee and its validity corresponds to the number of years remaining in your registered degree program. To benefit from a residence permit, you must meet certain conditions:

  • be enrolled in a French public or private higher education institution;
  • jhave proven monthly resources at least equal to 615 euros;
  • ddemonstrate the real and serious nature of your studies since the beginning of your course in France (attendance, exam results, diplomas obtained, explanations in case of change of degree program).

Note that repetition of a course does not necessarily bring the seriousness of your studies into question.
The application for the residence permit is made at the Prefecture of the Alpes-Maritimes 

Good to know : the Université Côte d'Azur, in partnership with the CROUS of Nice, allows students to submit their applications for the renewal of their residence permits directly on certain campus of the university or with the CROUS, every year from September to January.

Warning: during this period, no direct, independent student interactions will be allowed at the Prefecture

Learning french

Label qualité FLE

Université Côte d’Azur est partenaire de deux écoles d’apprentissage du français, disposant du label qualité FLE.

Centres de Ressources en Langues

Il existe 8 centres de Ressources en Langues répartis sur les différents campus du territoire azuréen. Ils proposent des tests de niveaux, des ateliers de conversation et de la documentation linguistique :

  • Campus Carlone (Faculté des Lettres) : salle H228
  • Campus Trotabas (faculté de Droit) : salle 426
  • École Supérieure du Professorat et de l’Éducation - ESPE Liégeard : salle 34
  • Campus St Jean d’Angely (ISEM et IAE): IAE salle 3B16 
  • Campus Valrose (Faculté des Sciences) : Petit Valrose, salle 310
  • Pasteur : ED 11
  • Sophiatech : salle 202
  • Plaine du Var : salle BU 

Apprentissage digitalisé

Un apprentissage digitalisé est possible avec le MOOC « Paroles de FLE » (Français Langue Etrangère). Il s'agit de vidéos d'apprentissage réalisées et animées par des enseignants universitaires français. Les vidéos sont diffusées au fur et à mesure sur une durée de six semaines d’apprentissage avec des exercices à chaque fin de vidéo. L'accès est libre et gratuit. Accéder au MOOC

Le Laboratoire des Langues de la Bibliothèque Louis Nucéra - réservé aux abonnés de la bibliothèque Louis Nucéra - donne accès à des cours de langues sous format audio en auto-formation. Il faut penser à prendre un casque ou des écouteurs car ces derniers ne sont pas fournis par la bibliothèque. 

Bibliothèque Louis Nucéra 
2 Place Yves Klein
06300 Nice
Téléphone : 04 97 13 48 00


L’association ESN organise de nombreux évènements de rencontres et de partages entre étudiants étrangers :

- « buddy system » parrainage d’un étudiant étranger par un étudiant français.

- « Each One Teach One » ateliers pour valoriser les échanges culturels.

- « ateliers de conversation en français » organisés tous les mois entre janvier et mai. Ces rendez-vous par petits groupes de 6 à 8 personnes sont l’occasion de rencontrer d’autres expatriés et d’être plus à l’aise avec la langue française. Pour connaitre les dates de ces ateliers, renseignez-vous auprès d'un Centre de Ressources en Langues (CRL). Il vous sera demandé 90 € d'adhésion pour accéder au contenu du CRL et pour participer à 5 ateliers. 

Pour plus d’informations


Formalities: accommodation reservation and arrangements for the keys

In France, the process of reserving and entering your home includes many formalities that apply to both the public and private sectors.

deposit will be required at the time of booking (by the student residences) or at the time of signing the lease (by the landlord). This deposit will protect the landlord and allow for the repair of potential damage if the tenant does not return the place to the same condition as it was at the beginning of the contract.

The deposit cannot exceed one month's rent without charges and must be returned by the landlord within two months of the departure of the tenant and the delivery of the keys (if no degradation has been noticed).

In addition to the security deposit, all student residences and the majority of landlords require a guarantor to ensure the payment of rent if the tenant does not honor the payment obligations. The guarantor is a person who agrees to pay any rent that you might not have paid. He or she signs 3rd-party guarantee (acte de caution solidaire).

Without a guarantor, the student’s application may not be prioritized.

Good to know: there is a VISALE student rental guarantee set up by the State that guarantees to facilitate access to the student's housing if he or she does not have a guarantor. You will find detailed information on the website :

Finally, be aware that the landlord (or residence) may refuse to give you the keys if you do not submit a certificate of home insurance. This insurance is mandatory in France to cover serious damage to the building, in case of fire, explosion or water damage, etc.

This insurance can be taken out either directly from an insurance agency in Nice or online before your arrival. Many insurance companies now offer the possibility of subscribing home insurance on the internet. Do not hesitate to compare the competition. 

Support for finding a home

• ESN Nice has a Facebook group for the research and supply of student accommodation: Students Accommodation in Nice by ESN Nice: Students Accommodation in Nice by ESN Nice.

• Lokaviz is an Internet portal offering all types of accommodation for students. It allows to connect students and private owners, and offers throughout the year rooms still available in the university residences of CROUS. You can explore the base of ads according to the criteria you prefer (city, number of rooms, furnished or not, maximum rent, availability, etc.).


Where to stay

The Université Côte d'Azur, like all French universities, does not have its own student residences.

However, there are different options for housing in the Alpes-Maritimes area.

Download the hosting solutions guide for Université Côte d'Azur students

CROUS Details

Web site 


Centre de numérisation du Crous de Nice-Toulon
TSA 24010
59901 Lille cedex 9

Financial aid for housing

The French State offers housing assistance funding for all individuals domiciled in France. The assistance is provided by the Caisse d'Allocations Familiales (CAF) and varies according to the financial situation of the applicant, his or her housing situation and family composition.

If you wish to benefit from this help, it is important to make the request upon arrival in the accommodation because if the aid is awarded, it is paid only from the month following the validation. It can be paid either on the tenant's French bank account or directly to the landlord who then deducts the amount of this assistance from the rent. 

Different aids exist and are allocated depending on the situation of the applicant, and they are not cumulative. CAF also provides a calculator to assess the amount of aid that can be allocated to an applicant

Warningonly the VLS - TS visa validated by the OFII, as well as the residence permit (carte de séjour) are eligible for financial assistance from the CAF.

Personalized Housing Assistance 

"Aide Personnalisée au Logement" (APL) is granted to people with APL registered housing: that is to say that the landlord has completed an agreement with the French State to respect a defined level of rent, among other things. In return, the landlord benefits from financial advantages. The tenant must ask his or her landlord if the housing is APL approved. The dwelling must be the principal residence of the applicant, regardless of whether or not it is a furnished apartment, or if the landlord is a university, private residence or even a hotel.

To apply for APL, it is possible to go directly to a CAF agency or to follow the online steps on the website

Social Housing Allocation Logement Social (ALS)

The ALS allowance (Allocation Logement Social) is intended for people who are not eligible for the APL. The amount allocated (generally lower than the APL) is calculated based on the financial and family situation, and location of the housing.

To apply for the ALS, it is possible to go directly to a CAF agency or to follow the online steps on the website

Home Insurance

On arrival in France, if the student rents the same accommodation for more than one month, he has to take out a home insurance. This subscription is mandatory and covers the risks and damages related to student housing (eg fire, theft, water damage ....) for a maximum of one year. The contract must be renewed each year. If the student moves, the contract evolves because the characteristics taken into account in the evaluation of the pricing are no longer the same. It is therefore important to warn the insurance company during the move to ensure the protection of the new place of residence.

The home insurance generally offers the assumption of liability insurance. This insurance is obligatory and makes it possible to compensate an individual if the student unintentionally causes him damage or deteriorates one of his property. If this insurance is not included in the student's home insurance policy, it can be purchased separately from any insurance company

Health insurance

Depending on your country of origin, healthcare expenses for international students are covered either by a French or national agency.

For students from the European Union, European Economic Area, or Switzerland

Holders of a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) are covered by the corresponding social security agency in their home country, which will continue to take care of their reimbursements. In case of illness, there is only a co-payment due after presenting the EHIC.
If you do not have an EHIC or a temporary certificate, you must register with the French health insurance agency on the website

For students not from the European Union nor European Economic Area

These students must register on the website, which is open from 1 September 2018. This procedure enables a portion of all healthcare charges to be covered by the French health insurance agency upon arriving in France.
The following are required to register:

  • ID (national identity card, passport, etc.);
  • Proof of registration at an institution of higher education for the academic year in question;
  • Bank account details (RIB) for reimbursements;
  • Civil status certificate for the attribution of an ID number (social security number). Permissible documents are:
    • Full copy of the birth certificate;
    • Extract from the birth certificate with parents listed (or any such document issued by a consulate);
    • Family record book;
    • Marriage certificate;
    • Residence permit (For information on the procedure to obtain one, contact the French consulate in your country or consult the information available on Campus France.

If you are unable to register online, dial 36 46 (€0.06/min + cost of the call).

For students from Monaco, Andorra, or Quebec

Special agreements exist with France and these territories. Before your departure, ask for proof of health insurance from your social security agency.

For students staying less than three months

These students remain covered by their national health insurance system and cannot register for French health coverage. They should ask their social security agency for proof of health insurance.

Additional insurance

Since there is generally not total reimbursement for healthcare charges, it is recommended to contact a provider of additional health insurance.

Bank account

For stays in France of over three months, opening a bank account can be useful to simplify your transactions. Opening a bank account allows you to receive APL housing aid, buy public transportation or telephone subscriptions, use the Vélo Bleu shared bicycles, and pay for purchases at shops without transactions fees. 

Opening a bank account is generally free and requires the following:

  • Copy of your passport
  • Proof of residence
  • Student ID card or pre-registration document
  • Valid visa or residence permit

Generally speaking, you must be living in France to be able to open a French bank account. Thus, once you are on French soil, you can choose a bank. The Welcome Center can provide a list of banks in the area.

It is usually more practical to choose a bank branch near your residence or workplace so as to make it easier to go there.

Once the account is opened, you can obtain your debit card, checks (if requested), and a RIB (Bank ID number) document containing the coordinates of your account. The RIB enables third-parties to make authorized withdrawals, e.g. monthly telephone charges, from your account, among other things. It is sufficient to provide a RIB, an identity card, and a withdrawal authorization at the corresponding business to initiate automatic withdrawals. This obviates the need to write a check every month to every payee.

If you leave France for good, it is advisable to close your account at least 15 days before your departure. To do so, contact your bank to find out which steps to take. At the same time, do not forget to terminate your electricity, water, internet, and other contracts

Whom to contact if your debit card is lost  or stolen?

Carte Bleue or Visa : 08 00 90 11 79 (free call)
Carte Eurocard or Mastercard : 08 00 90 13 87 (free call)
Carte American Express : 01 47 77 70 00 (free call)


A Nice, les opportunités de déplacement sont variées. Pour ceux qui ne peuvent faire usage d'un véhicule personnel (voir la rubrique « permis de conduire »), l'étudiant peut bénéficier des transports en commun sur l'ensemble du département.

Bus et tramway

Lignes d’Azur est l’entreprise de transports en commun qui assure les trajets en bus et en tramway sur Nice et les villes environnantes. Le titre de transport « solo » coûte 1 € 50 pour un voyage avec correspondance possible durant 74min. Avec ce ticket, l’utilisateur peut prendre deux bus différents s’il se dirige dans la même direction durant 74min et qu’il n’effectue pas d’aller-retour. Il existe également le titre « Multi 10 voyages » sur lequel sont crédités 10 trajets à valider à chaque montée dans le bus ou tramway, sous les mêmes conditions que pour le titre « solo ». Ce ticket coute 10 €. Pour des déplacements fréquents sur le réseau Lignes d’Azur, il est plus économique de prendre un abonnement mensuel ou annuel. De plus, certains tarifs sont attribués en fonction de la situation de l’individu (ex : tarif étudiant).

tarification ligne d'azur

Source :

Pour établir des itinéraires d’un lieu à un autre, payer ses titres de transport, consulter les horaires d’une ligne, rendez-vous sur le site de Lignes d’Azur.

Envibus est la société de transport en commun d’Antibes et ses alentours. C’est donc les bus qui traversent Sophia Antipolis. Le prix du titre de transport est de 1 € pour un trajet unique, et de 8 € pour un ticket 10 trajets.

A Cannes, Palmbus propose des prix un peu plus élevés, comptez 1 € 50 pour un trajet unique, et 12 € pour un ticket 10 trajets. Comme pour Lignes d’Azur et Envibus, il est possible de consulter les parcours, les lignes, les horaires et de planifier un itinéraire.



En France, le réseau ferroviaire est divisé en plusieurs régions dont dépendent des TER (Transport Express Régional). Ces trains délimités par leur zone géographique permettent d’effectuer des trajets entre différentes villes desservies dans la région concernée à un coût peu onéreux et à des heures régulières. 
La Région Provence Alpes Côte d’Azur a également mis en place la carte Zou, qui permet d’obtenir des tarifs réduits sur trajets TER. Des forfaits mensuels, annuels, et/ou en fonction de la situation de l’individu sont proposés afin de voyager à moindre coûts. Plus de renseignements sur la carte Zou et les conditions d’obtention.

Pour consulter les itinéraires, les horaires et les gares du parcours.


Carte ZOU (moins de 26 ans) : qui permet une réduction jusqu’à 50% de réduction par rapport au tarif normal sur les trajets en train.
Pour plus d’informations :


- Carte Jeune (18-27 ans) : Prix : 50€/an.
Voyagez à tout moment avec 30%* de réduction garantis sur tous vos trajets grâce à votre carte de réduction Jeune 18-27.
* Offre soumise à conditions


Pour tout renseignement sur le train, rendez-vous sur le site de la SNCF :

Vélos Bleus et Auto Bleues


Pour les personnes qui aiment se sentir libres et qui apprécient peu les transports en commun, la Ville de Nice a mis en place un circuit Vélo Bleu où chacun peut louer un vélo en libre-service, à condition d’avoir un téléphone portable et sa carte bleue pour payer la location à la borne. Un vélo peut être emprunté et déposé dans n’importe quelle station du parcours (+ de 175 stations à Nice). 
Plusieurs abonnements sont possibles, par exemple à l’année il sera demandé 25 € + le prix pour chaque utilisation du vélo (les 30 premières minutes sont gratuites, 1h = 1 €, chaque heure supplémentaire sera facturée 2 €).

Inscription, consultation du parcours et vérification des disponibilités.

Egalement, les Auto Bleues (uniques en Europe !) sont des voitures électriques en libre-service tous les jours de la semaine, 24h/24h réparties sur différentes stations dans Nice et ses alentours.

Deux forfaits sont proposés : le forfait Zen (l’usager dépose la voiture empruntée à la station où il l’a prise) et le forfait Flex (l’usager dépose la voiture qu’il a emprunté à n’importe quelle station du parcours). Il faut compter environ 26 € de frais d’inscription et une estimation de prix à la location peut être effectuée sur le site en fonction des disponibilités et du temps d’emprunt.


Covoiturage et VTC

Enfin, de plus en plus, le covoiturage et l’usage des VTC (Voiture de Transport avec Chauffeur) s’installent sur la Côte d’Azur. Plus économiques que les taxis, ces moyens de transport permettent de se déplacer sur la région tout en réalisant des économies et en faisant des rencontres.

Pour le covoiturage, il existe des compagnies pour des longs transports. Cependant, depuis quelques années se développe le covoiturage local, c’est-à-dire entre différents points d’une même ville. Certaines applications sur disponibles sur Nice, n'hésitez pas à nous solliciter pour les connaitre. Il s’agit d’une solution économique, écologique et créatrice de lien social.

Enfin, pour le transport en VTC, de nombreux concurrents sont installés sur Nice et ses environs.


Photo gare :