arrow drop search cross

Health insurance

The CPAM (Caisse Primaire d’Assurance Maladie) is the organization where you have to register to get your social security benefits.

  • European students

If you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or a certificate of entitlement to healthcare, you don't necessarily need to register to the French social security. You can use your card and receive care in France for the duration mentioned on your card. This card is issued in your country. If your European Health Insurance Card does not cover the entire duration of your stay in France, you need to register on the platform for international students (click on the button below). Your next steps will be indicated on the website.

Students included are those with the nationality of a country of the European Union, Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.

  • Non-European students

You must register to the French general social security system upon arrival in France. This affiliation is free but mandatory and can be done online on the following platform:

Register online

3 steps to take :

1) Fill out your personal information

2) Submit your documents (FYI: You can register with a foreign bank account and your documents need to be in a European language, but not necessarily French)

3) Create your personal space

This affiliation will provide you with a temporary health insurance number and covers basic health insurance costs up from the date of registration at the University (proof of enrolment). It may take some time to get your « Carte Vitale » and your permanent social security number. Nevertheless, this temporary number provides you with all the same rights as a permanent number: you have the social security coverage and can get reimbursed right away.

The general practitioner charges 25 € for the visit. The CPAM will reimburse 70% of this amount (= 16, 50€). There are two kinds of doctors: Secteur 1 & Secteur 2. Make sure on to locate a doctor from Secteur 1 (no extra fees).

To benefit from an optimal reimbursement of your health expenses, you can subscribe to a complementary health insurance (« mutuelle »). This is highly recommended, several insurance companies can provide you with a complementary health insurance.